ARCHIVES


Thursday, June 3, 2010

My Skills Are Not Nearly As Polished As You Think They Are

I was reading Psalm 146 this morning and was struck by the list of people for whom God is in the business of providing assistance:
  • the oppressed
  • the hungry
  • the prisoners
  • the blind
  • those who are weighed down
  • the foreigners
  • the orphans
  • the widows
  • (also, he loves the godly)
This is a list in which I would prefer not to find myself. Apart from the fact that I am occasionally weighed down by my own inability to stay in shape, I don't really think the rest of this stuff applies to me... but...

does that mean God isn't in the business of helping me?

I think it kind of does mean that.

As Jesus pointed out several times, he did not come for the sake of the righteous. He said that those who are healthy (or at least think they are) don't need his help. Only the sick are in need of his assistance. Unfortunately, I'm often in the position of thinking I'm healthy. I don't think I belong on the Psalm 146 list because REALLY i often don't think I need God's help. I think I'm a pretty capable guy who can get things done on my own.

But I want God's help!

Because deep down inside (in the words of Colonel Nathan Jessup),"in places we don't like to talk about" I know that I desperately need God's help, because while on the outside I appear to be pretty solid; I am nothing more than a major league mess-up barely being held together by string and duct tape...

So, I need to find myself on this list. I need to admit that I am oppressed by my selfishness and foolishness. I need to acknowledge that I am far too often blind when it comes to loving God and loving others. I am a prisoner of my desires and of temptation. I am an orphan who needs to run to the arms of my adopted heavenly Father.

May we all learn to admit our shortcomings so we can bask in the help God willingly offers!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home